Since the Lomax Hoarding System is modular by design, it can be built into a variety of shapes and layouts. One option is to erect 2 x A-Class hoardings in parallel and then to add a protective roof – This then provides the option of a protective safety tunnel.
A protective safety tunnel is not to be considered as a suitable replacement to a B-Class (gantry style) hoarding structure for overhead protection – but since it can be used both indoors and outdoors (with our modular weight solution) it is a suitable installation for providing a safe passage through the middle of a construction area – Plus, the panel rooftop provides a solution that blocks dust from entering the passageway and ensures that the area above cannot be visually seen from within the tunnel.
The Lomax System has been used as a protective safety tunnel in hotel and office lobbies / retail environments and warehouse where a safe passage was required, and an overhead protection system (Structural B-Class Hoarding) was not required. The solution allows the pedestrian traffic to access areas within a construction zone that remain trading (such as passenger lifts / reception areas / offices etc).
Given the location of such hoardings are usually in ‘high pedestrian traffic areas’ then adherence to the required Australian Standard (AS4687) is critical.
Compliance for Indoor and Outdoor Protective Safety Tunnel Hoardings
Australian Standard AS4687 provides the technical, safety and minimum structural guidelines that all A-Class hoardings must adhere to.
This technical guide ensures that the hoarding is capable of withstanding a physical ‘impact’ to both the front and the rear of the hoarding of a certain force so as to simulate an equivalent occurrence / accident during any general construction works. AS4687 also offers guidance as to the minimum wind-speed capability that the hoarding must be able to withstand in its site-specific location. The wind pressure is greater than that of the indoor impact test and so this needs to be considered for outdoor compliance.
All outdoor hoardings must be erected in accordance to AS4687 and a structural engineer should issue certification to confirm that the installation has been completed in a compliant manner.
The Lomax hoarding system doesn’t require bracing as it is counterweighted at the rear of the panels and so is completely free-standing – This approach makes the Lomax hoarding system the ideal solution to ensure that compliance to AS4687 is achieved in every installation again and again!
This compliance to AS4687 is supported by all the required certification issued by an independent, external structural engineer.
The Lomax system is designed, tested and manufactured to exceed AS-4687 requirements.
Why use the LOMAX system for Indoor and Outdoor Protective Safety Tunnel hoardings?
- Designed and engineered for compliance to AS4687 – All configurations are certified by an external, independent structural engineer
- Outdoor Wind Rated – Due to the clever design of our inter-locking weights, the system offers a wide range of indoor outdoor (wind rated) configurations
- Narrow Footprint – Our solution has an extremely narrow footprint from only 46cm on the A-Class hoarding on both sides of the tunnel
- Free-Standing – Completely self-supporting system – no bracing required – no property damaged caused.
- It’s Safe and Secure – For maximum safety and our peace of mind, our clever design ensures weights cannot be detached from the hoarding panels whilst the hoarding is still standing
- Supports Cross Beams – A critical cosmetic feature to ensure the hoarding doesn’t move or snake around post-install – The hoarding stays straight.
- Offers a Support Post – A Steel Support Post extends upwards from the counterweights to increase the height of the fulcrum point of the system, reduce the quantity of weight required and ultimately offer enhanced structural stability
- Multiple Panel Thicknesses + Type – Suitable for 12mm MDF / 16mm Particle Board / Marine Ply and many more
- It’s Stable – The standard MPG10 90×45 (4×2) timber is logically orientated on the strong axis for extra strength and stability at greater height