About Outdoor Shop Hoardings
With the significant increase in outdoor shopping, dining and entertainment precincts within our Shopping Centres nationwide, it is important to understand the differences required between and indoor and outdoor hoarding for these specific areas (or any outdoor location) so that safety and compliance is paramount.
Similar to an indoor solution, when an outdoor retail premises requires some form of internal construction works, an ‘outdoor retail shop hoarding’ is required just outside that area to restrict public access to the site by way of a physical barrier, and to any stop any dust escaping that may be generated inside.
Given the location of such retail sites and their hoardings is outdoors, there is now a potential of significant impact from wind pressure, and this must be considered to ensure the hoarding is compliant for its site-specific location (outdoor hoardings are often called wind-rated hoardings).
It is commonplace to see an example of an ‘outdoor retail shop hoarding’ in most Shopping Centres, Strip Malls or Train Stations etc and it would usually have some form of advertising material / images applied to the hoarding post installation. The ‘outdoor retail shop hoarding’ is often considered a critical ‘messaging opportunity’ for the retailer.
Given the location of such hoardings are usually in ‘high pedestrian traffic areas’ then adherence to the required Australian Standard (AS4687) and its critical understand the potential of any additional wind pressure on the hoarding.
Compliance for outdoor Retail Shop Hoardings
Australian Standard AS4687 provides the technical, safety and minimum structural guidelines that all hoardings must adhere to.
This technical guide ensures that the hoarding is capable of withstanding a physical ‘impact’ to both the front and the rear of the hoarding of a certain force so as to simulate an equivalent occurrence / accident during any general construction works. AS4687 also offers guidance as to the minimum wind-speed capability that the hoarding must be able to withstand in its site-specific location. The wind pressure is greater than that of the indoor impact test and so this needs to be considered for outdoor compliance.
All outdoor hoardings must be erected in accordance to AS4687 and a structural engineer should issue certification to confirm that the installation has been completed in a compliant manner.
Since it is commonplace for the ceilings in outdoor areas to be either decorative or even non-existent – so even if a ceiling does exist, it is often impossible to brace or attach to these areas and maintain a level of structural integrity that is compliant with AS4687 – especially when considering the additional wind load of the site specific location.
The Lomax hoarding system is counterweighted at the rear of the panels and is completely free-standing (so requires no bracing to be compliant) – This approach makes the Lomax hoarding system the ideal solution to ensure that compliance to AS4687 is achieved in every installation again and again!
We have completed the AS4687 code-compliant testing and calculation for all our configurations to be able to free-stand outdoors up to 4mH and for various wind speeds up to 34m/s (122.4Kph).
This compliance to AS4687 is supported by all the required certification issued by an independent, external structural engineer.
The Lomax system is designed, tested and manufactured to exceed AS-4687 requirements.
Why use the Lomax System for outdoor shop hoarding?
- Designed and engineered for compliance to AS4687 – All configurations are certified by an external, independent structural engineer
- Outdoor Wind Rated – Due to the clever design of our inter-locking weights, the system offers a wide range of outdoor (wind rated) configurations – Options range in heights up to 4mH and wind-speed capabilities up to 34m/s (122.4Kph) with no ground penetrations needed
- Narrow Footprint – Many outdoor hoarding configurations we have an extremely narrow footprint of only 46cm. If a double stack of weights is required, our ‘double stack support post’ can be used for enhanced stability and the footprint is only 92cm
- Free-Standing – An outdoor hoarding can free-stand up to and is a completely self-supporting system – no bracing required – no property damaged caused.
- It’s Safe and Secure – For maximum safety and our peace of mind, our clever design ensures weights cannot be detached from the hoarding panels whilst the hoarding is still standing
- Supports Cross Beams – A critical cosmetic feature to ensure the hoarding doesn’t move or snake around post-install – The hoarding stays straight.
- Offers a Support Post – A Steel Support Post extends upwards from the counterweights to increase the height of the fulcrum point of the system, reduce the quantity of weight required and ultimately offer enhanced structural stability
- Multiple Panel Thicknesses + Type – Suitable for 12mm MDF / 16mm Particle Board / Marine Ply and many more
- It’s Stable – The standard MPG10 90×45 (4×2) timber is logically orientated on the strong axis for extra strength and stability at greater height